As I'm watching the brownies cook and I first notice that the the edges are really close to overflowing - so I'm thinking "please don't go over the pan." Next I notice that indeed the brownies are cascading over the edge and making lovely black piles in the bottom of my oven and are emitting great fumes of smoke. So now I'm thinking: "ok, just smoke and make a mess of the oven, as long as the rest of the brownies can cook and taste ok." The next step, the brownies keep on flowing over the pan, so I take them out and scrap the edges to help stop the mess - still hopeful that I can use these brownies. Finally, I notice some flames going on in the bottom left corner of the oven. Ok, I don't do well in stressful situations. This really shouldn't have been that big of a deal, but one of my big fears is our house burning down. So I start to freak out a little bit, but stay mostly under control. I turn off the oven right away, then I wonder if it will just burn itself out - it probably would have, but I didn't really want to risk the alternative. So I grab our fire extinguisher from under the sink and shakily start reading the instructions (I've never used one before). I take the pin out and stand 6 feet back (like it said to) and squeeze the trigger. This huge spray goes out and startles me a bit and I shoot again to get the fire out. So yes, sadly the brownies are now covered with dust and quite inedible.
Ok, the fire is out, but now there is a huge mess of powdery dust everywhere. I go and hug Tyler more for my comfort than his. He thought it was exciting - when Doug came home he says: "There was a fire in our oven!!!" He told Damon too.
Now, I have to explain some of the other things going on. I had put down Chris for a nap but he wasn't asleep yet and I needed to pick Damon up from his summer connections school in 20 minutes. So I don't really want to leave the house, but I knew I had to go get Damon. So I was glad that Chris wasn't asleep yet because we loaded everyone up in the truck and picked him up. Then I put him back down and he finally fell and asleep and thankfully stayed asleep the whole time I was cleaning up.
The second thing that was going on: I was planning on watching my neighbors kids so they could go out to lunch for her birthday. So I called her up telling her it was ok as long as they played outside or watched a movie and I apologized for my horrible smelling house. Anyway, she was such a sweetie and went to the store and bought cookies for me to take to my reunion since I wasn't making brownies again.
Doug came home for a bit during my clean up, he was helping out a neighbor guy with his car. I had called him right after it happened and he helped me calm down a bit. I said I was fine and just had a big mess to clean up - so I didn't think he'd be there to help, but I'm glad he got to see the mess first hand.
Anyway, the whole thing makes for a great story, I just didn't really enjoy the extra 3 1/2 hours is took to clean my whole kitchen and living room (the dust went everywhere) - not great timing being the day before we left for our trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment