Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Catch up #2 Oct 18 -

Sunday October 18 was Doug's birthday.  He received some new sandals, a dress shirt, and an outdoor thermometer display (our old one died).  It's hard to make birthdays special for us as parents, but I tried to let Doug have a break - but he is so good and doesn't really ask for any special treatment.  He did ask for pumpkin pie for his birthday dessert.  We had invited a family over to help celebrate but they canceled with a sick child an hour prior.  I called up another friend who is pretty spontaneous and they were able to come over and visit with us for a bit.  So that made the evening fun. 

Happy Birthday Doug - you are an amazing person!  You have so many qualities that I am trying to obtain.  You do so much for me and our family and we are truly blessed to have you as the leader of our family.  I love you!

Monday was a busy errands day - the girls didn't quite make it home.  A lot of times I pack a lunch for them when we are out about in town so they can eat it on the way home.  I think they fell asleep before finishing.
Tuesday and Wednesday were busy as well.  I can't remember everything I did, but I remember I was busy.  Wednesday morning I went and helped set up chairs for our primary practice later that day. The practice went fairly well - organized chaos.  But the kids knew their parts well and we tried to keep them somewhat quiet.  The one hiccup was that our pizza was late coming.  We stalled as long as we could but we had to start dismissing classes and there was no pizza to eat.  They got to eat their rice crispy treat first.  :)  Thankfully the pizza came before we had dismissed everyone so the later groups got their pizza first.  I guess what happened is that Little Caeser's had started giving away our order as 'hot and ready' pizzas to regular customers.  So we had to wait for more to be made. Everyone ate outside, thankfully it wasn't raining as it looked kind of stormy.  

Thursday - Saturday Doug and I went to Phoenix for a LifeVantage convention, I will blog about that separately.  The kids spent the weekend with some good friends of ours.  I was so grateful that they were willing to watch them.  The boys stayed with one family and the girls at another.  Damon split off and spent one night at another friend's house.  I think they did pretty well.  The girls would get sad at times but overall I think they had a fun time.

Sunday was the primary program.  The kids did a fantastic job.  As a primary presidency had asked them all to memorize their parts and rewarded them with Dum-Dum suckers if they could pass it off to us at church and at the Wednesday practice.  So I don't think we had to prompt one child.  It runs so much smoother that way.  The different thing about this program was that our Stake President wanted to talk this same week.  He would be getting released soon and wanted to speak in all the wards.  He wanted to talk about the sacrament and requested that he speak before the sacrament and a little bit afterwards.  So  between him and the Bishop they decided to put the primary program first - right after the opening prayer and then the Stake President spoke and then we had the sacrament.  It was a little bit weird that way and we went over quite a bit as you can imagine.  But it was still a good meeting.  

The last week of October was spent getting ready for Halloween.  I sewed a cloak for Damon's costume.  He was Frodo from Lord of the Rings. We bought a costume, but the cloak that came with it was pretty bad.  They didn't have much of a fabric selection at JoAnn's.  They only dark green fabric I could find was suede so that's what we used.  It actually ended up looking pretty nice as it gave it some texture.   I made cinnamon rolls as a thank you to the families that watched our kids and I made pumpkin-shaped sugar cookies for us to decorate. 

Thursday was my first time to teach our preschool group.  I had lots of things prepared and we barely had time for everything.  I was glad that I had a fall theme and we talked about the Earth and all of the things in nature and we did some Halloween activities too.  At the end we decorated pumpkin cookies. 

We did some more later that evening.  I think there is a cookie under all of Tyler's candy - haha.



Friday was when they recognized the 'A' Honor Roll students.  They get to go into the cafeteria and eat a popsicle.  Damon and Tyler both got all A's - I didn't get to go to Damon's recognition but I will try next term.  We are proud of them for working hard and getting good grades. 
Oh boy Halloween!  Our ward's trunk or treat was on Wednesday the 28th.  I'm glad that they do that just so all the kids can see everyone's costumes and play together.  Doug and I used our 70's costumes again.  I didn't have my white boots this year since I had borrowed those from a neighbor in Colorado.

We have Kaylee as Anna from Frozen - notice her white streak in her hair. :)

Jenna as Elsa - she wanted all of her hair to be white.
Tyler as Captain Rex in Star Wars:
Damon as Frodo from Lord of the Rings:
And Chris as Zane from Lego Ninjago - note: he dressed up as Bumble Bee from Transformers for Halloween night.




I was slow in getting our pumpkins this year so I went out to get them Halloween morning.  I checked at the grocery store but they were all out.  So I had to drive up a bit farther to a church that was selling them in their parking lot.  They were pretty pricey so I only bought 3.  Someday the kids will be able to carve them by all themselves.  Doug and I still have to finish scooping them out.  Damon and Tyler carved theirs and I did Chris's after he showed me what to carve.  



Here pumpkins don't last very long, so it was good we carved them so late. They were very fuzzy and moldy a few days later from the warm and humid environment. 

We made homemade pizza for dinner and ate early - too early.  But we were ready to go trick or treating without being rushed. :)
We went out with a group of friends in a neighboring neighborhood.  The girls had fun going to the doors.  Chris got tired really fast and said he wanted to go home quite often - we think he just wanted to sit down and eat candy.  I finally got tired of it and we headed back to the van where we had parked and went home.  Doug stayed out with Damon and Tyler for a bit longer and got a ride home from a friend.

We got a lot of candy and let them all eat a bunch.  Then for FHE the next day we reached a deal and told the kids to pick out 30 pieces to keep and then we were going to donate the rest of it to a dentist office to send to the armed forces.  I knew that some offices would even pay by the pound but the one that I found nearby didn't.  But I told the kids I would pay them.  I never got the chance to weigh our full grocery bag of candy but I'll bet it was 4-5 pounds.  So I gave them all $1.00.


Until next year...Happy Halloween!



No comments: