Well the first week of summer vacation was not a vacation. We started off with soccer camp for Damon and Day Camp for all of us. It made for a very busy week. Damon's soccer camp was from 8-10:00 Monday - Thursday. I was grateful that we had a friend participate so that we could car pool. Because of recent rain the camp was moved to a nicer turf field, but it meant a 30 minute drive to get there. Damon had a good time and had fun with his friend Drew.
I was the ward representative for Day Camp this year. That meant I was in charge of making sure we had enough adult helpers, collecting paper work, and making sure everyone was trained and had their YPT current. I also set up a car pool sign up so we knew who was driving each day and where each kid was going. We had 12 adults help throughout the week with 5 Junior Ranger helpers (11-13 year olds), 20 cub scouts, and 3 Me-toos (siblings 3-6).
The camp ran from 1:00-6:00 every day. We would meet at the church at 12:00 then drive up around 12:15. The weather thankfully cooperated most of the week. We were afraid that we were going to get lots of rain on Monday and Tuesday, but it only rained a bit at the end. Wednesday and Thursday were pretty hot, but not unbearable. Friday we had more clouds so it wasn't too bad. We were really blessed.
The cubs were divided into Webelos in one group (Jaguars) and the Bears/Wolves/Tigers were in another group (Elephants). The camp was a Safari theme so our stations were labeled things like: The Plains, The Jungle, The River, etc. The program director is one of my good friends and she did a great job of organizing camp. The sessions were fun and everything ran smoothly. Some of the sessions were: bugs, boat building, marbles, snakes, outdoor games, musical instruments, magic tricks, coding, card games, maze building, art projects, building, and of course shooting activities. Chris enjoyed the BB range, but had a hard time with archery. I think it was just a little too hard for him to pull the string back. I went around with Chris's group the whole week, so I didn't get to see Tyler do his activities, but he enjoyed archery the most.
Damon helped as a ranger 3 of the days. They helped keep water coolers full and assist the session leaders. Damon was able to help on the ranges since he was 12 years old. He went early a couple of times as well to help set up.
The girls were in the Me-Too program and had a lot of fun making crafts, playing games, and watching movies. They stayed home Wednesday since I went early to help set up and that was easier than trying to find someone to take them up to camp later.
The last day was family day so Jenna and Kaylee came around to the different sessions. That day we did a music session of name that tune, the zoo mobile, outdoor games and the range. Then the fire truck sprayed all who wanted to get wet. I brought a change of clothes for everyone and they watched Moana while Damon and I helped take down the archery range.
It was a busy week. We tried to start our summer schedule. I would wake up early to prep for my sunday school lesson. At 6:45 those who wanted to run around the block would join me. It's only 1/2 mile, so we go around once or twice depending on how we're feeling. Tyler was the only one who wanted to run this week. Then on a normal day I would exercise but this week I couldn't because I was taking Damon to soccer camp. Then we did centers. Everyone is enjoying these right now, let's hope that it stays that way. Right now our stations are: piano, typing, iPad educational games, writing or math, and reading. I am doing piano with all of the kids and so it has been fun to see the younger ones get excited to play Merrily We Roll Along. After centers is screen time and then lunch. The kids were good to help get ready for camp. They all had their back packs that they would fill with their 4 snacks and get their water bottle. After lunch we would head up to camp. After a full day of camp we would leave around 6:30, arriving home around 7:00. Then we would eat dinner, give everyone a shower/bath and do a batch of laundry every night so our shirts would be clean for the next day. I'm grateful that the camp was over at 6:00 though, two years ago it went until 8:00 and that was way too late. I tried to have dinner ready in a crock pot or time bake oven. Doug was good to help out and made spaghetti for us one of the evenings. Then after kids were in bed I would send out emails to parents giving them info that they would need for the next day. Anyway, this first week felt like two, it was fun but I'm glad it's over. :)
Here are the pictures:
cockroaches on her palm and wrist.
Weren't happy to wear protective eye gear.
petting an alligator
No comments:
Post a Comment