Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Eclipse and the beginning of Hurricane Harvey Aug 20-26

Sunday was my mom's birthday.  We had recorded the kids singing some songs (at her request) and sent those to her. She of course loved them.  I talked to her in the afternoon and wished her a happy birthday.  I'm grateful to my mom - she has done so much for me.

Monday we got to see the eclipse.  Doug made a pinhole viewing box and we also borrowed some glasses so we could see it.  Tyler and Chris got to see it at school.  We took Damon out of school for just a few minutes so he could see it. He was mad at me for missing part of his class.  We got to see about 66% of the sun covered.  I thought it was pretty amazing. It also left cool eclipse shadows.  It was neat to see the total eclipse on TV.  We heard that another total eclipse will be seen closer to us in about 7 years, so maybe we will get to see that one.
You can't see this picture well, but the light blue oval below the sun is the reflection of my eye with the eclipse showing in my eye.
These are the cool moon-shaped shadows that the eclipse made through the trees. 

Tuesday I got some blogging done.  Doug had another interview with Unimin, they keep wanting to talk to Doug some more.  We think this is the last one.  It was pack meeting for Cub Scouts.  They did some fun minute-to-win-it games. Tyler got a bunch of awards because of Day Camp.

Wednesday: Doug and I went shopping, went to the library, and found some shirts for Doug at the mall.  I had a RS activity in the evening, we talked about the hurricane and how to prepare.  I tried to fill up with gas on the way home but the station was out of gas!

Thursday: Doug and I went to Splashtown - it was pretty empty.  Doug and I went to Walmart in the afternoon to get a few last minute things: cheese, more milk and water.  It was pretty crazy in the store - they had just put out a new pallet of water and everyone was chasing it.  I also had a library orientation meeting in the morning and a parent info night for Chris' class in the evening.

Friday: I went to Walmart one more time for something else and all the bread, ramen noodles, water, Gatorade, milk, spaghettios, etc. were all gone!  Pretty amazing sight. Damon made a cool Minecraft sword as well that day.


Hurricane Harvey made landfall Friday evening. 

Saturday: Hurricane Harvey made land fall near Corpus Christi - it didn't rain much where we were from Friday through Saturday afternoon. It was windy and stormy but not too bad. Our ward back to school BBQ was canceled just in case.  We played games with some neighbors last minute and Doug went over to a friends to watch a big boxing fight.  The rain really started to come down Saturday evening.

Rainfall count: 5.5 inches during the day and 10.25 during the night, measured Sunday morning

No comments: