Another busy week. I've been teaching my Sunday school class almost every week because my partner has been out of town. But she will be getting back soon and will teach on the 6th and 13th so that will be a nice break. I like the material for my lessons, but I haven't figured out how to engage this age group. They just play on the phones and talk the whole time and show no respect to me or their peers.
Monday we had my friends kids over all day. She is in Hawaii so she needed some friends to help her out. She just has two right now (expecting their third) so it wasn't a big deal. They kids played well all day. Doug helped by taking the boys to their swim lessons so that I could stay home with the others. Their little boy is quite a picky eater, but we finally got him to eat some mac and cheese - he didn't have much breakfast. I ended up watching another little boy for a couple of hours too in the afternoon. Their family is moving and the mom was trying to pack without help from her 2 year old. The dad of the other two got off of work a bit early so he came and got them around 3:30, I had invited them over for dinner - thinking that he could just stay and eat when he picked them up. But it still worked out, they just came back over for dinner later. I made Parmesan chicken with bow-tie noodles, fruit, broccoli, salad, and bread sticks. Chris had asked for chocolate cake yesterday for FHE treat so we had some of that with ice cream for dessert.
I also made this cheesecake on Monday because it said that it needed to chill overnight - and I was serving it for Book Group on Tuesday. It was super yummy- coconut lime cheesecake. And book group when well. We discussed The Gravity of Birds. I think most people liked it and we discussed the relationships in the book. It was a fun night.
Tuesday - Thursday we had swim lessons of course. The boys have done so well. It has been fun to watch them improve and learn new things. Chris is a natural in the water. I am thinking of putting him in a swim team next summer. On the last day Damon passed off his BSA swim test that he needed to pass for his 1st class rank, so that was great!
We did hair cuts this week. The boys of course and I tried to trim the girls a bit. I cut more on Jenna's than Kaylee's. Jenna would like her hair short I think, but I told her not yet. I don't think I'm ready for their hair to be gone yet.
Jenna
Kaylee
Wednesday we went to a funeral for a father in the ward. It was a sudden thins and quite a shock to everyone of course. We think it was due to complications from a surgery that had taken place a week prior. He left behind his wife with a 10 year old son and a 5 year old daughter.
Thursday I made dinner for this family going through this hard time. They had a lot of family in town so we were asked to prepare dinner for 14 people, mostly adults. That's quite a bit of food - especially when you add in my family. So I made a double batch of chicken rice casserole, a double batch of bread-sticks, and a quick batch of peanut butter balls. I also brought some watermelon and a bag of salad. The bummer was that the family actually ended up eating out that night to celebrate a birthday, but they had it for lunch the next day. Oh well, at least it got eaten. The mom was still appreciative. She gave me a HUGE basket of flowers from the funeral to take home. I divided it into 3 vases to make it more manageable. It was nice to have fresh flowers throughout the house.
Friday I watched three girls for another mom who is having a hard pregnancy and we went swimming with them and then had lunch. It's interesting to watch other kids eat. You just get used to your own and their quirks. It reminds me that I do have really good kids and I need to appreciate them more.
I think we went swimming to splashtown sometime during the week - I can't remember. We have been just enjoying summer and trying to be nice to each other at home. We are getting on each others' nerves and no one has much patience. But we are hanging in there. The girls are counting the days until school starts. They are so excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment