Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Labor Day and long school days 9/6 - 9/12/2020

 Not much to report on this week.  I only took one picture for the week, so I guess that says it all.  (Or that I just forgot to take pictures)

Monday was Labor day and we had a very fun day.  We went swimming in the morning as a family.  Another neighbor happened to be there, so it was fun to visit with her.

We had a quick lunch and then met up with some friends to see Sonic the Hedghog at the movie theater.  We really had a fun time going with friends a couple of weeks ago, so we decided to go with two families this time.  Our 3 families have 19 people so it was perfect for the 20 people limit.  The kids had a great time.  


I had invited a family over for dinner last minute the night before and they said that they could come.  We were going to have hot dogs, but she said only one in their family would eat hot dogs, so she offered to make pizzas for all of us since that is what they were going to have.  So we combined and Doug still grilled a few hot dogs and we made some homemade pizzas.  They were super yummy and Tyler wants to make them again next week.  It was great to visit with friends.  We played a few rounds of WereWords, then we had some leftover maple cookies that Damon had made on Sunday.  

Tuesday - Friday was school school school.  The kids do great but there is always something they need help with during the day.  There are so many emails from teachers, Tyler still was getting some from his new teachers asking about missing assignment.  They were from before he switched over, so it was just a matter of talking to his old teacher and getting those transferred.  Damon is stressing out about his AP World History class.  He was emotional multiple times this weeks feeling stressed and overwhelmed.  I think this is the first time he is being stretched to learn something that doesn't come easily to him.  He wants to quit the class, but I would really like him to struggle through and gain that experience, but I don't want to hurt him in the process.  

The girls had a killer English day on Friday.  Their teacher assigned them to write about the story Stone Fox that they had just read.  First they had to write about 4 main events in the story and then summarize it.  It ended it up being 4 pages of writing, and Jenna and Kaylee hate to write, so it was a trying day for them.  Then, they had to write an opinion essay about if they would rather have year round school or regular.  By that point Kaylee had had enough writing and just wrote down one sentence.  I didn't push her.  She was in tears most of the afternoon, upset that she couldn't remember the story or didn't know what to write.  As parents we were asked not to help the students much since this was a major grade and they wanted to see what the kids knew.  It is so hard as a parent to watch your kids struggle and not being able to help them.  It was a very emotionally draining day on Friday - I was in tears by the end too. 

The drama with Chris right now is trying to figure out if we should send him to band in person.  My friend down the street has a daughter in his class too, so we thought they could bike together.  But then we realized that there isn't a crossing guard at that time and it's a busy street to cross.  So they we wondered if we should just drive them, or if it is even worth going right now.  They are learning about notes and music theory and since they both take piano they know all of that stuff.  And then if they do go in person they will miss some of their zoom calls for their core classes, which we didn't really like, but the zooms are more for questions than for actual instruction and the teachers said it would be ok to miss.  Anyway, there have been lots of emails, phone calls, and communication going on for that decision.  

But one highlight of the week was that I went to a ballet class on Wednesday for free!! I asked a friend to go with me, for which I am very grateful that she could go since we were the only two in the class.  It was so much fun.  I just loved going through the basics of a ballet class again and hear the familiar phrases and routines.  Stretching, barre, centers, across the floor, and reverence.  After the girls started their ballet class I got out my ballet dictionary and had fun reminiscing and remembering the terms and phrases.  I remember most, but some I had to look up.  The teacher was a sweet older lady who seemed to have a good back ground.  She talked a bit too much, but she appeared genuinely impressed with our technique and I'll admit that it felt good to be validated with my training.  We were both rusty and of course not as strong or as flexible as we once were, but the foundation was still there. 


No comments: