Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Tyler goes to school, Book Report, and Learner's Permit 8/30 - 9/5/2020

 Sunday the ward tried zooming church.  It would have gone a lot better if the internet hadn't been down.  They ended up using Doug's cell phone to broadcast, so the audio wasn't very clear and we could hear his phone vibrate when he received notifications.  But it was nice to 'attend' church from home.  We had our own sacrament when Doug got home.  

Monday was rough with getting back into school.  Having a 5 day break made it hard to want to do school work again.  But we made it through (with only a few tears) and Tuesday was better.  

Tuesday was pretty busy.  I signed up to feed the missionaries, which was fine, but then we changed our primary activity to be in person (instead of a zoom) and so I had to host that as well.  So it was just a busy day of making food, cleaning up, and getting things ready for the activity.  It was Jenna's turn to pick dinner so we had Favorite Soup.  The missionaries seemed to like it.  It was such a hot day on Tuesday that soup really didn't soup very good at all, but we had a salad and fruit to help us cool down.  We talked about keeping the Sabbath day holy for our primary activity and had ice cream sundaes for dessert.  I had a large group of girls come, around 10.  We tried to social distance as much as we could, but by the end I kind of threw up my hands.  If the parents are overly concerned about Covid, then I guess they should just keep their daughters home - or zoom in. 

Elder Davis is very gifted on the piano and improvised a bottom accompaniment to Damon's Pirates song. 


The girls colored their baptism pillow cases this week. 

Damon and Tyler had orthodontist appointments on Wednesday and both had sore teeth later in the week. I helped clean the church on Thursday - we have to sanitized the building everyday after seminary to keep things clean so they can have class.  

We decided to change Tyler's schedule this week to allow him to go back to school.  I had been talking with his counselor about being able to attend ceramics in person.  The classes were all full so that wasn't going to happen.  Then we learned that if and when Tyler goes back to school he will have new teachers, because some teachers are only teaching online and others are only teaching in person.  So we decided that it would be better to switch classes now and get used to these new teachers sooner rather than later.  Tyler also said that he was having a harder time learning online and would prefer to go back to school.  So after talking to the counselor some more we changed Tyler's schedule and he went to school one day this week.  He said he liked it better than just sitting in front of the computer all day.  So I'm glad that he is able to go to school.  We will probably switch the girls over in October, they will get new teachers too, unless a lot of kids decide to go back and then need more in person teachers.  Damon wants to stay online all year, I wouldn't mind him being at home but I worry about him not getting to socialize.  Chris also likes staying at home.  I worry about him missing assignments and not being responsible.  All of the kids have missed assignments, by either not seeing them on the computer, or by forgetting to submit them.  So it could be a great learning year for being responsible, or it could be a big headache.  We'll see how Chris does during these next 6 weeks and go from there. 

Friday morning Damon and I went to the DMV with Kari and Drew.  Due to Covid the office online said that they are only doing things by appointment and the next available ones were in January!  It did say that they could do a few walk-ins so we decided to go and check it out.  We got there right when it opened and were about 25th in line.  They took our names and made us appointments for later that day.  We went back around 10:30 and went right through.  We had all of the right documentation so the process went smoothly.  When gathering our personal information I realized that my Social Security Card is missing, so I will need to order another one.  So now Damon and Drew have their learner's permits.  Now I get to go driving with Damon and teach him how to drive, this could be fun and scary at the same time.  Doug told me that I-45 is the most deadly highway in the U.S.  not very comforting.  I think we'll stay off the freeway if we can help it.  

We let Damon invite some friends over to play Friday evening, they played some video games and a card game from Star Wars.  Then we all jammed on musical instruments for awhile. Drew is good at the marimba so he played for us, and Austin played on the piano and Drew also showed us some cool things on the drum pad.  The girls went and got their ukuleles and joined right it.  It was loud buy fun making music together. 

Saturday we did our jobs and I went to the store.  Then after lunch we were able to zoom in to Logan's baptism in California.  That was fun to witness, especially since we had just done the same thing with the girls.  His baptism was at a pool too.  

I spent the afternoon going through my emails, I had over 300 - mostly from the school with all of the communication going on from online learning.  But now I only have 30, so that feels so much better.  I just hope I didn't delete something important.

We were going to go swimming but a thunderstorm rolled through.  We watched The Mighty Ducks instead.  The kids weren't too excited to watch it, but we told them it was a good one.  They loved it and now want to watch #2 and #3.  I forget about the swearing and questionable things that they put in some of the older movies.  Oh well, the kids probably don't notice it too much.  

Another fun thing we did this week was record the kids singing Book Report from the musical You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.  We had watched the movie Peanuts earlier and so I played the songs from the musical and they loved them all.  They really liked Book Report and wanted to do a video.  They work hard on memorizing their parts and it turned out so cute.  

39 Best Counterpoint songs images | Songs, Counterpoint, Melody

No comments: