Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Hurricane Laura 8/23 - 8/29/2020

 Well it started out like a regular week of online school, but then on Tuesday afternoon I got a text, email, and call from the school district saying that school would be canceled on Wednesday and Thursday in preparation for Hurricane Laura.  Hurricanes do crazy things to people down here.  Everyone suddenly buys a lot of water and ramen noodles.  Doug and I looked at the weather forecast and it didn't even look like it was going to hit our area very much, it was projected to go east of us.  But you get hooked into the hype and you don't want to be unprepared, so we staked our tramp down on Wednesday evening and I filled up the van with gas and made sure we had milk and bread.  My pantry is always pretty full, so I don't worry about food very much.  

We woke up Thursday morning and it hadn't even rained during the night and we didn't hear any wind.  It was pretty anti-climatic.  But I would much rather get prepared and have no disaster than actually have the hurricane hit us.   It hit near Lake Charles and that area had a lot of wind damage.  There were some power outages near us, but we were fine.  Doug's work was without power so he came home to work.  

We tried to do our normal things, the kids were happy to have two days off of school.  Our A/C was acting up so Doug had someone come out and look at it.  They replaced some of the coils in one of the units and as they left they put bleach and vinegar in the drain pipe.  We found out later that this is a very bad combination and produces Chlorine gas that can be toxic to breathe.  I didn't know about this combination but it smelled so bad in our house that I made all the kids quit playing their games, make their own picnic lunch, and leave to go to the park.  We ate lunch and then played at the splash pad for awhile.  They had a good time playing, Damon just read a book but it was good to play outside.  The house still smelled when we got back, but I think it was a little better.  

After the park I went to the orthodontist with Damon. He is all done with his invisalign! His teeth look nice.  He got a permanent bottom retainer put in and then he will go next week to get some removable ones.  

Tyler went to the eye Dr. this week and his eye have change a bit.  We need to go get him some new glasses.  He tried contacts on for 10 minutes in the office, but he didn't like the feel of them.  Glasses will be better for him anyway because of his astigmatism and he has some vertical misalignment in his vision.  So he gets to start wearing his glasses all the time now.  He used to just wear them at school.  

We did get some rain on Friday evening, it was right when the girls were leaving for their ballet class.  A friend joined the class so we could carpool.  Britney picked the girls up as Doug was leading them to the car with an umbrella.  It was coming down hard, but it stopped by the time class was over.  

On Friday I helped with a baby shower.  I made the cookies earlier in the week - I burned one of the trays so I actually had to make two batches, sigh.  But they turned out cute.  My friend Haley Call came over on Thursday evening to help frost them.  They look like life saver rings since the shower was a nautical theme.  It was a hot day and hanging up decorations outside and doing sidewalk chalk was a sweaty business. I had taken a shower before I went over, but I took another one afterwards too.  

Saturday we went swimming as a family in the afternoon and then invited the Miller's over to have pizza with us. It was pretty last minute, but they were game and we had a fun evening with them.  It was a bit of a scramble getting ready from swimming and then I still needed to go to the store - but it all worked out.  

Doug and I went to the movies after dinner.  Cinemark lets you rent out the entire theater and allows you to bring in 20 guests.  So a friend of ours invited a bunch of couples and we went and saw Inception.  We own that movie so we had seen it a few times, but it was fun to watch on the big screen.

Right before we left for the movies Marcus called us.  They are going to New Orleans for their family vacation at the end of September and they wanted to meet up with us since it's relatively close.  We were looking at Lake Charles, but since the hurricane we figured Lafayette was a better choice.  We had looked at a few housing options earlier in the week but hotels were staring to fill up due to people traveling to help with the hurricane clean up.  So we felt pressured to book something quick.  So while we were in the theater I tried to book a room at the Hilton.  I tried 3 times and the website kept locking up.  Then Doug tried on his phone and was able to get through.  So we have a hotel reservation in Lafayette to go spend some time with Marcus and his family.  It was good to get it done, it was just bad timing.  I felt bad being on my phone when I wanting to be visiting with my friends. 



Other pictures from the week:

I finished our masks, but I'm afraid that I will need to make more. But I found a great place to hang them. :) 


Chris chose noodle soup and garlic toast for his meal this week.  He is so funny at how excited he gets for simple noodle soup.  It makes me smile.  He had thirds. 


Kaylee's Kiwico box came this week.  She got to make a walking robot.  Thanks Grandma Datwyler for that gift, they have been fun for the kids to make. 


I'm toying with the idea of selling some bakery things from home.  I made some muffins on Saturday and took a picture so I could add it to my blog website.  I've pick the name: Out of the Oven Bakery.  I want to keep it pretty low key and low stress.  Just make a few things each week and let people sign up to buy them.  We'll see how it goes. 




No comments: