We have had a heat spell and we didn't make the kids go on a walk on Sunday, just too hot!
Jenna frequently asks for an easy over egg in the morning and I decided it was time to teach her how to make her own. So many mornings I see Jenna by the stove cooking her own egg. She can do it all by herself. Sometimes her yolk breaks, but she's not too bothered about it and sometimes turns it into scrambled. It is fun to watch them learn new things and gain their independence.
School started to feel more like a routine by the end of the week. Chris had 3 zooms a day, one for each teacher. He gets bored in the zoom sometimes, but at least it keeps him from bugging his siblings. The girls take the whole day to get their work done. They start at 8:30 and usually don't finish until 2:30/3. They watch recordings of their teachers going over the new concepts and then they do stuff in their notebooks. They both don't like to write but Jenna really puts up a stink about it. I was very good and patient with her on Wednesday, but it took some much of my time and energy. She is so stubborn and just lays on the floor pouting refusing to do her work, complaining that she doesn't know what to do, right after I have explained what to do. So frustrating!
Monday Kaylee had an orthodontist appointment, she is going to be getting her top braces on in the next visit. Chris had his percussion try-outs on Monday. He did ok, but couldn't copy the rhythms very well. I didn't think he was going to make it, but we found out on Tuesday that he did. It was an answer to prayer since I think he would have been really upset if he hadn't made it. I got the email on Tuesday morning while I was out running errands, and it was another tender mercy that I happened to be in the same shopping complex as the music store. So I was able to go right in and buy most of the things that we needed. I also got right onto to FB Marketplace to look for a practice Marimba. New ones at $1600 but there were some used ones listed. I contacted one and asked the band teacher if the other mallets and things that were listed would work for Chris. I did not know there were so many different types of mallets. He said not to buy the sticks and mallets, but if the marimba was in good shape it would be a good deal.
Tuesday was hard because I felt so busy and rushed running all of my errands. I was looking for ballets tights, shoes, leotards, and skirts for the girls and I needed to return some running shorts of mine. I went to 6 stores and I just felt worn out, I guess I'm not used to all of the business. It was hard wearing a mask that long too, I kept feeling light headed and my anxiety started to kick in as well. I was glad to get home but my heart felt like it was racing all day.
Tuesday evening I was in charge of the activity for our primary girls. I shared a short message about music and encouraged the girls to sing when they had to do a chore or their school work and see if it would help them have a good attitude, then we played Name that tune. I made a Kahoot playing Name That Tune as well, but I realized that it would be better to let the girls play it on their own at home since they would need two devices.
Wednesday Tyler had piano and I had a Relief Society Zoom meeting. We talked about metal health issues and she had some good tips and thoughts to share.
Thursday the girls had piano and Doug and I were dealing with what to do about our Thanksgiving cruise. We don't know if they will cancel it or not. We talked with our friends and none of us really want to go even if they still sail. I'm not worried about getting sick, but just the overall quality of the cruise. Will there still be shows, will they still have a buffet, etc. What if someone gets sick will we all have to be under quarantine? So one of our friends canceled without talking to anyone. We decided to cancel too and just get our money back. We figured we could book another cruise later. Then because we are not doing the cruise this year we are trying to figure out a plan B. The tricky part is that Haley and Jared's sister was going to go on the cruise, which is fine, but now that we are doing our own thing it feels like our family is the odd one out being the only family that is not part of the Shurtliff family. I talked this over with Kari on Friday morning on our walk and just let her know how we felt. It was just really frustrating because this was supposed to be a friends trip and now we feel like we're the odd one out. Anyway, Kari understood where I was coming from and she and Haley were going to talk to Ariane and she what her thoughts were. Haley wanted to go to Universal Studios for her plan B and Kari and I want to do a beach house.
I had the kids start helping me with dinner this week. They each have a day, they pick the dinner and then help me prepare it. Tyler chose lasagna this week.
Friday was another crazy errands day. I had to go back and return all of the things that I bought on Tuesday that didn't fit. It was a lot quicker this go around though. Then I had to make some food. The Abernethys had invited us over for a BBQ and swim party. I made a bean dip and veggie tray and I had wanted to try and new cookie recipe that I had found online. It was pretty good, a peanut butter sugar cookie with chocolate frosting. In the evening I still had to take Tyler, Jenna and Kaylee to dance class, so we were a little late to the party, but everyone had a great time. It was so nice to get out and visit with people.
Saturday we didn't have much planned but I had hoped to go pick up the marimba from the lady who was selling one on FB. She had been out of town during the week and said that Saturday would be good. I texted her a bunch of times but she never responded. I looked again on FB Marketplace and saw that someone was selling a marimba for less and they lived in our neighborhood. I contacted her and went over and bought it. It is used and the last two notes don't play very well, but it was so nice to be able to find one close by and cross that off my list. The kids love playing it and I love that is sounds good, unlike kids trying to learn the clarinet or violin. They all play their piano songs on it and it is so fun.
An update on our vacations, I love going on vacation but sometime planning them can be hard, espeically when it deals with other people. So Doug spent a long time on the phone getting our cruise back in order to shift it to next year. We had to call twice so that they would give us the same price that we originally paid. So we are set to cruise over Thanksgiving in 2021. Also Haley and Ariane decided to go camping together and Kari and I picked a beach house for this year. I'm excited to go. It will hopefully be a pretty relaxing vacation and the house looks very fun and the beach will be great. The average temperature in South Padre in November is 85 with lows in the 60s, sounds fabulous.
No comments:
Post a Comment