Normal Sunday yesterday, we had Sacrament meeting at 10. Doug, Damon and Tyler did the lesson. They did a run through of their lesson that they were going to teach later that day for their zoom Young Men meeting.
I played a lot of games with the kids, we played Splendor, Timing it Right, and Lattice. The kids also played a lot of Monopoly. They have discovered that game and have been playing it a lot. Chris made up some rules to tweak it a bit and the girls like playing with him.
A family in the ward invited us over for ice cream in the evening. The Luce's. They went to USU as well and had moved away a few years ago and now have moved back. They have a son Damon's age and a girl a year older than Chris. We had a nice evening visiting. I made some toffee to bring as a topping.
Chris was being silly putting just about every blanket we own on top of him.
Monday-
Normal day of laundry. Mondays are hard because I never seem to be able to get anything done. I got a bit depressed in the evening and was feeling like a failure as a mother. The kids just keep fighting and valuing screen time about all else. Jenna and Kaylee had a friend over and as soon as screen time came they left their friend alone in their room so they could go play. I know I have taught them better, but they just ignored her. Granted her mother was supposed to have come and picked her up, but she was running late. Anyway, the girls lost their screen time for the next day - I hope that they realize friends are more important that video games. I worry about screen time addiction with all my kids, its what they love to do the most. They do play games and other things during the day, but it seems like they are just trying to pass the time until they get to play again. I would love to get rid of all screens for a month or so, but I just don't dare, it helps me keep my sanity since it does keep the house quieter during that time. I don't know what to do. Part of me things that the kids are fine, and there are many out there that are playing so much more and that I shouldn't worry. But the other part says what others are doing shouldn't justify what I am letting my kids do. It's so hard to find a balance.
Tuesday-
Tuesday always feel less busy without the laundry to do. Chris and I went and picked up his new glasses. Change is hard for Chris - so he was messing with his glasses all day and by the end he was in tears saying that they hurt too much and were too tight. So we will go back in today to see if we can get them adjusted. I'm worried that we bought too small of a frame. He is also having a hard time going back to a single lens- he had bifocals for the last 1 1/2 years. So his eyes are having to adjust.
I looked at 2 years worth of pictures picking out the best for the girls' baptism video. It is fun looking back Everyone continues to grow. We have had a lot of fun memories throughout the years. Sometimes I wish we did more - as I compare with others- but I need to just remember what works best for our family and be happy. We are more of a home body group and going out usually stresses me out and everyone else gets grumpy too. So I need to remember to just be content at home and make home our special place.
We got an email from the Bishop last night saying that they are going to start having small groups meet in the church for Sacrament meeting. They are only going to meet once a month or so, and it is by invitation. But it is a small step moving forward, headed back to normal life. No singing, wearing masks is recommended, and groups will sit every other row. Such a crazy time we are living in.
Wednesday -
Morning run, I love the mornings with the soft light and the lake looks so pretty. I'm not the fastest runner, but it is good to get out.
After centers Tyler and I went to piano lessons. After lunch the girls played at the Shurtliffs and Drew came over here. Kari had to come and type in their microsoft password so that Drew could use his account on the Xbox. We visited for awhile and that was nice. We both wonder about what to do about screen time, and how to find a balance. Damon played a lot with Drew and played in the morning and then since he was playing board games with Drew while the others played video games at 4, he asked if he could play after dinner. I somehow hoped that being older he would realize that he had had enough playing with Drew earlier, but I have let others not 'count' their friend screen time and let them play more later. Sigh, it's just I wish they could be happy with what they did that day and use their other time to do something more productive or just be happy playing other things.
I was in the kitchen in the afternoon, I made Chex Mix, Muddy Muddies, and Rice Krispies. With Doug eating a more strict diet he is not eating cereal anymore, so I needed to get rid of some cereal before it went stale. I froze the Muddy Buddies, so we'll see how that works. We finished a game of the Farming Game after dinner. The kids get so loud playing, I usually end up with a headache, but everyone stayed happy for the most part. During the last round we let people re-roll so that they could harvest the most they could. Chris rolled a 6 harvesting his 100 head of cows and got $90,000. He was pretty excited about that. He ended up winning. I watched a little bit of the Two Towers with Damon and Tyler in the evening.
Thursday-
Jenna had her follow up appointment via a video chat. We just talked with the Physicians Assistant, but it was fine. She just looked at the incision and said it looked fine. We actually had to take off the steri-strips so that she could look at it. They had said that they would fall off on their own, but Jenna's had stayed on pretty well. It is still pink and sore looking, but healing well. She said that Jenna could go swimming on Monday, so Jenna was happy about that.
The girls had piano lessons. Chris is doing lessons with me now - it wasn't worth the fight going to Haley's. He still practices, but he really didn't like going to lessons, so I just help him with the songs he is learning.
Kaylee had an orthodontist appointment. She is getting an expander put in next week so they had to make a mold to make the appliance. She did well with it, it never is a comfortable feeling.
Friday -
I walked 5 miles with Kari in the morning. We went around the lake twice. It was great to walk and talk. We even talked for 15 more min when we got to her house. 1 hour and 40 min of visiting was great!
Pretty normal day. I put curlers in Kaylee's hair to get ready for taking pictures in the morning.
Saturday-
I woke up at 5:45 (I hadn't slept well either) and I woke the girls up around 6:00. I wanted to get to the lake around 7 and we had lots of hair to do. I redid Kaylee's braid and then started taking out curlers while she ate some cereal. Jenna got in the shower so we could do her hair curly with a diffuser. Kaylee's hair was so pretty and curly I feel so bad that I didn't take a picture here at the house. The girls looked so pretty. We loaded up in the van and headed to the lake. There were a few sprinkles on the windshield as we drove over, but the clouds didn't look very dark so we figured we were going to be ok, little did we know. :/
We took a few pictures right at the edge of the first bend and then we were looking at some trees to take some pictures by when I heard a rustling in the trees. I looked at Doug and asked, "Is that wind or rain?" He said it was rain and we got out the umbrella and huddled under a tree. At first it didn't seem too bad and we thought we could wait it out. Then it started to really come down and it was causing splashes to come up and get the girls' dresses muddy. We realized that we just needed to go The girls huddled under the umbrella. I wanted them to try and save their hair in the hopes of coming back later. All of our shoes were drenched and Doug and I were sopping wet in the few minutes it took to walk back to the van. Sigh - it didn't rain at all the rest of the day- so of course we were out during the 30 minutes that it was stormy. I had even checked the weather the night before and it had said that it was going to rain later in the day, and I had wanted to get good morning light. Oh well.
I had to throw the girls' dressed in the washing machine and we told the girls to play nice to try and keep their hair neat. Jenna's stayed really well. Kaylee's was still pretty but of course the curls lost their volume. The girls were tired of playing nice by the afternoon so we just took some pictures at our house around 2:00. It was so hot and muggy outside. But the girls did pretty well and we got some cute pictures. Ugh, I was so frustrated that all of my planning and time had come to naught. I know it wasn't a huge deal, but I needed to get the pictures done so I could make the announcements and other things. So anyway, I'm glad that it's done and that some of them turned out ok.

No comments:
Post a Comment