Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Jenna's Surgery week 5/31 - 6/6/2020

Sunday -
We had our church a bit earlier this week.  Doug had more meetings planned so we had to work
around his schedule a bit.  We had leftovers from Damon’s birthday so I didn’t have to do as much
food.  I did make rolls, but I started them a bit late so they were a little bit small.  


We had a few zoom church meetings in the afternoon.  The RS did one at 1:00, Elder’s quorum was
at 2:00 and the youth had a combined meeting with the Bishop at 3:00.  


We have been working on a large 2000 piece puzzle that we borrowed from the MIller’s.  It’s a pretty
picture of an ocean scene with a rainbow with tropical trees.  I tend to work on it the most, and probably
more that I should, but it’s fun.  



We usually walk around a ‘lake’ in the neighborhood on Sundays if the weather is good.  It was a
pleasant evening and not too hot and humid.  We brought the Frisbees and the girls had fun going
through the Frisbee golf course.  


Monday -
We started centers since school is now over, but it is just a good way for everyone to get their piano
practicing done and a few other things that everyone needs to do.  We usually do piano, math, typing,
reading, and writing.  I took Jenna and Kaylee with me up to the hospital.  Jenna had to get tested for
the Corona Virus because she was going in for surgery on Wednesday.   She tested negative, so
surgery was a go.  I took Kaylee with so that we could stop and get them a Chick-fil-a meal.  They had
been given a gift card from their teachers and I owed them lunch from their birthday.  It was an early
lunch, but of course they still enjoyed it.


We went swimming in the afternoon at the Miller’s, mostly because Jenna is not going to be able to
go swimming for awhile after her surgery.  The kids had a great time, even though the water was a bit
cool.  Chris opted to stay home.  I’m done making him do fun things.  He is old enough to stay home
by himself so I think he will miss out on a lot of fun things this summer.  


Tuesday -
Normal day of centers.  Damon had an orthodontist appointment.  It is such the procedure that they
have to do because of COVID-19.  We send a text when we arrive.  Then we answer the questionnaire
saying that we are healthy, then they text us back saying that we can enter the building.  I’m not
allowed to wait inside, so I go back to the van.  I’m glad that the appointments usually don’t take very
long.  Damon is almost done with his Invisaline - hopefully by the fall he will be all done.  


I taught the girls how to crochet last week and they have had a lot of fun with it.  At first they just knew
how to chain, so they made necklaces and bracelets for themselves and all of their stuffed animals. 
Then Jenna learned how to work into the chain and she did surprisingly well with her stitches.  Kaylee
didn’t learn how to do the next rows until yesterday.  It was a bit harder for her, but she did pretty well. 
We got onto Pinterest and looked at all of these fun projects that we could make.  Kaylee asked if I
could make this little hanging basket thing.  It wasn’t too hard, so she watched me for an hour
crocheting this little basket.  She was so cute, helping me getting the yarn out of the spool and getting
so excited as it was taking shape.   
I made orange chicken in the evening and then I helped Jenna get ready for surgery the next day. 
We packed a bag of things to do and gave her a bath.  We had to wash her sheets, pajamas, and
blanket too.  It was convenient that I was planning on washing the sheets that day anyway.  


I had book club in the evening.  We actually risked getting together in our hosts pool.  It was great to
visit in person.  We had had a GNO last week that was the first time we had been in a big group all
together.  It had been so nice to see friends and visit.  


Wednesday- 
I woke up at 5:56 to Jenna by my bedside.  I assumed she was nervous about her surgery but then
she told me that Kaylee had thrown up.  She had complained of not feeling well yesterday, but was
totally fine after breakfast.  So Doug and I got her settled on the couch and Jenna was able to get
back to sleep.  I was supposed to get up around then anyway so I got ready for the day and then woke
Jenna up a little before 7:00.  She was able to have some juice at that time, but then didn’t get to eat
after that.  We left for the hospital at 7:15 and got all checked in.

 
Jenna had surgery for getting a cyst removed from the back of her neck.  It had gotten bigger over the
last few months and was bothering her when she laid down.  We started this process back on April 23
to see her regular Dr.  He looked at is and told us that it was probably a cyst and that could be
surgically removed.  He sent us a referral to a Dr. O at Texas Children’s Hospital.  Dr. O is a plastic
surgeon.  So we set up an appointment to see Dr. O.  The hospital is under lots of different rules due
to the Corona Virus, so we have to enter from a certain door, and have our temperature taking and
wear masks.  The appointment went well and we scheduled an ultra sound to get more info and a
surgery date.  

We were all set to go, but then I started wondering about our insurance.  So I postponed our ultra
sound a few days so that I wanted to make sure Dr. O was in our network. So over the course of a
week I spent hours on the phone talking to our insurance and the hospital.  I kept getting put in circles
and being told that a different department could help me.  It was pretty frustrating.  I finally learned
that yes, Dr. O was in network and the hospital gave me an estimate of our share of the costs - we
have a high deductible plan right now, so our part is roughly going to be $4000.  Doug and I did the
math, and it was still cheaper to have the surgery now than wait and change our insurance plan.  So
we decided to go ahead with the surgery.

So we had the ultra sound last Thursday and the surgery was on the following Wednesday. After we
got checked in to the hospital we waited for about 1 hour and 45 min. During that time we spoke to
several nurses, the anesthesiologist, and a specialist to help explain what was going to happen. She
helped explain the 'sleeping medicine' to Jenna and she helped us pick out a smell to have in the mask.
Jenna chose cotton candy. The Dr.also came in and marked where the incision would be. While we
waited we played games and Jenna read some Garfield comics. At one point we were so busy playing
that Jenna said she forgot she was going into surgery.
At 9:45 they took Jenna back and I went to the waiting room. Jenna said she could only count to 6
before she fell asleep. The surgery lasted about 45 minutes and the Dr. came out and talked to me.
He said the surgery went well and that they were going to send the cyst to a lab to have it tested. I
had to wait another 10-15 minutes until I could go back to be with Jenna. She was pretty out of it. She
had a hard time sitting up and talking. I gave her a few sips of Gatorade and helped her wake up a bit.
We stayed at that station for about 10 minutes then they took out her IV and helped her into a wheel
chair to go home.

She slept on the way home and for about an hour after that. Then she watched
Frozen 1 and 2. By the end of the day she was acting pretty normal and feeling pretty good. Her neck
was a little sore, but the worst part was taking the tape off of her neck. It was so sticky that it really
hurt to take it off. She slept well - I thought I heard her call out in the night and went up to check on her.
She kind of seemed awake and gave me a hug, but she said she hadn't called me, it must have been
a dream.
Thursday
It was kind of a busy morning, mostly because I slept in a bit. I felt behind, but it turned out ok. We
have been doing centers and I have started doing them with the kids. This way I have 15 min to do
all of the little things that I want to do each day, like write in my blog. :) The girls had piano lessons today
and then Kaylee went to Hannah's birthday party and Jenna went to the Shurtliff's to play. We had
our church zoom activities in the evening. The girls had a fun guess who is who by looking at baby
pictures and guessing who it it.

Friday-
The weekends don't seem too different lately, during the crazy Covid school year or summer. We did
our centers and normal screen time. Damon was invited to a friend's birthday party in the afternoon so
we didn't see him much. The girls went and played at the Call's house and Carter Call came over here
play. I'm glad that we are able to play with friends again, it helps the kids be happy and entertained.

We bought a half box of peaches from a truck along with a lot of ladies in the ward. I had picked them
up on Wednesday but they weren't ripe yet. They have started to now ripen and they are so good.
We have been eating them for almost every meal. Not much is better that a juicy ripe peach.

Saturday-
Normal chores in the morning. I took Chris to his annual eye dr appointment at noon and then the store
afterwards. Chris's eyes are the worst of the families besides mine. We had him bifocals for the last year
and a half, but now we are going to go back to regular glasses and see how he does.

I made a peach crisp with our peaches today and we went swimming at our pool in the evening. We had
to sign up and fill out a waiver to go due to Covid 19 but at least we got to go. Jenna just floated around
keeping her neck dry. She seems to be doing well from her surgery.

Other random pictures: my kids get very excited when I buy regular carrots. They love peeling them
and eating them like rabbits. Damon cleaned out some of his room today and got rid of all of his
participation medal from i9 Sports. He had fun with soccer and flag football.

No comments: