Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Braces, Boxes, and Baptisms 7/19 - 7/25/2020

Sunday July 19,
We went to church today again, it was  nice that it was a regular sacrament meeting with two speakers.  Natalie Bruschke gave a great youth talk, and Bro. Lovell was the other speaker.  There were more families this time, 8.  We all wore masks.  It was very quiet and you do feel a bit anxious if you have to cough or sneeze.  Also you feel like you shouldn't touch anything.  

Monday July 20,
I took Tyler in to get his braces today.  He was a good sport through the whole process.  It took a little less than 2 hours.  Now the process of sore teeth and limited food choices begins.  

Doug decided to order a treadmill and it arrived on Monday.  It came in a huge box, that the kids were more excited about.  Doug and I set it up in the evening.  It was so heavy!! It was hard to carry into our room, very grateful that we didn't have to go up any stairs.  It came with a year membership to some cool workouts that allow you to walk around in different places.  The kids thought these were cool.  


On Tuesday the kids were on the treadmill all day.  We had to make a sign-up sheet so we wouldn't fight over who's turn it was.  Chris walked/ran 5 miles throughout the day.  It's nice that they want to exercise now.  Many have walked in Hawaii and through the pyramids of Egypt.  

Wednesday July 22

Damon and Kaylee had an orthodontist appointment early.  Damon is almost done with his treatment, he will be getting his wire retainers next time and Kaylee is just holding her expander in place.  

Piano lessons with Tyler and I've been making food all week to get ready for the baptism.  I made shortbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and brownie bites.  I've put them in the freezer so they will be all ready for Saturday.  

My mom flew in at 6:00 pm.  I went and picked her up.  It was great that she could come for the girls' special day.  The girls slept in the big box fort since grandma sleeps in their room when she comes.  They didn't sleep too well - too close together. 

Thursday July 23

We went swimming in the morning.  The weather all week has been on and off stormy.  But it was nice while we swam.  I'm glad we can get the kids out of the house for a bit. 


Damon made some energy balls.
We had Korean Beef stir fry for dinner, it's a favorite all around. 
Grandma was good to play games with the kids and read them stories.  It makes it nice to have another adult around. 

I had a rough evening, feeling stressed about what to do about school.  We have to decided by July 28 and I don't really want to think about school until after the baptism, but I need to decide.  I keep going back and forth.  Doug thinks that we should do a public online school, so then we don't have to worry about what CISD does, we are just doing our own thing.  I liked the sound of that but I worry about credits transferring for Damon and he wouldn't get all of the classes that he wanted to take.  Also I would like them to have the chance to go back to school if things get better.  I sort of decided to have them do in person, but then Dr. Null the superintendent talked to us all again and it made me realize that they really don't know what they're doing and even though they are trying their best the school most likely will have to be closed at some point and I don't want the kids feeling weird having to wear masks at school and have their desks apart and being told to wash their hands all the time etc.  I still don't know what to do!!

Friday July 24

We went swimming again at the other pool.  We though it might rain, but it didn't.  After lunch I went grocery shopping and then I got my haircut.  My mom helped me with prepping more food, chopping vegetables for a veggie tray and a broccoli apple salad.

I've been feeling pretty stressed about what to do about school.  After my walk with Kari in the morning I feel like we should just do online school with our regular school.  I have the hardest time making up my mind on decisions. I feel like this is a good medium.  The kids are still part of their school, will know some of their teachers and classmates and they have the chance to go back if things clear up.  I know it will be hard having to deal with so many classes and teachers online, but we can do it. 

We let the girls open up their presents in the evening.  They were excited to get their scriptures, and towels.  Mom gave them journals, scripture cases, a scripture marker, and a pillowcase you could color.  I also gave them a bracelet, a tithing jar, pictures of the temple, and a picture for their room.




Saturday July 25, 2020

Well, I had been worried about the weather all week, but the morning just looked cloudy.  The kids had done their Saturday jobs the day before, so we didn't have to worry about that.  I got up and frosted the cookies and mom helped by making french toast.  I did the girls' hair while they ate and then we headed over to the Bruschke's.  We met early with the Calls and Shurtliffs to practice our musical number.

Doug got the zoom call going at 10 and it was so neat to have so many people there with us.  My siblings and Doug's siblings, Grandma and Grandpa Datwyler, Doug's parents, Our nieces: Candice, and Sam (in Japan) were there too. 

The program was pretty normal, We sang Families can be together forever, Tyler said the prayer.  My mom gave a talk on baptism with an analogy of cotton candy.  Then the kids sang their song: I Feel God's Light.  Then we went outside and the girls were baptized.  Their pool is actually pretty deep, so Jenna stayed on the bottom step.  Chris and I were witnesses for Jenna and Damon and Tyler were witnesses for Kaylee.  It was so neat to watch them and feel the Spirit.  After everyone was changed Grandma Petersen spoke on the Holy Ghost via zoom.  That was neat.  It was hard to hear.  We had tried to connect the Bose to the iPad, which we do all the time, but it didn't seem to work with the Zoom call.  So that was a bit frustrating but everyone was quiet and listened as best they could.  Then they were confirmed.  Doug's prayers were so nice and it was a special moment.  Then Doug said a few thoughts and Jenna played I am a Child of God on the piano.  Then Kaylee helped us sing the closing song by playing "I like to look for Rainbows" on the Ukulele.  It was so fun to sing along with her on the second verse. 








We were so blessed with the weather - it started to storm during the talk on the Holy Ghost - there was a smaller Hurricane coming in the gulf, south of us, but it brought some rain and winds our way.  I was so grateful that it waiting until after the baptisms.  It rained afterwards and while we had lunch at our house, but then it cleared off enough that we went back and swam.  The kids had a great time.  

Mom helped finish making the broccoli apple salad and we set up tables and chairs.  We had BBQ chicken sandwiches, Haley brought a yummy green and pasta salad.  Kari brought over a beautiful display of fruit and some chips.  The girls had requested chocolate chip cookies and brownie bites.  I also made some coconut shortbread cookies with lime frosting - so yummy.  Mom also helped me chop veggies for a veggie tray and make lemonade.  It was a great lunch and everyone enjoyed visiting.  Then we headed over to the Brushcke's to swim. 



Mom treated us to buying Chinese take out for dinner, so that was a treat.  Everyone loves Chinese.  And we had so many leftover I didn't have to make Sunday dinner, so it was a double blessing. 

Mom and Tyler went for a walk in the evening, it was a good thing they brought some umbrellas along- they needed them.

The baptism was so special, and it was fun to do it in a memorable way, but all that really matters in the ordinance and that the girls have made this covenant.  I'm so proud of the and I am so grateful for this Gospel and the knowledge that we have and the priesthood authority that we have.  I hope the girls will remember the feelings that they felt on their special day.  I felt the Spirit and was grateful for it. 

No comments: