Family Photo 2019

Family Photo 2019

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

First week of school

 Monday was still a holiday here so I was able to go to the school with Damon’s and Tyler’s records and get them all signed up.  There was a ton of papers to fill out. I had done quite a few online so I didn’t think there would be that many.  I started filling them out there – with all five kids running around in the front office- but then decided to finish them at home and bring them back.  It took me almost an hour to fill them all out.  We checked out the closest park in the afternoon and enjoyed the warmer Texas weather. 




The boys helped me unwrap a lot of the kitchen things.  It takes a long time to unbox some stuff because every single cup or plate is wrapped in paper.  I did some more of the kitchen in the evening and found our plates.  I had packed a few plates and our silverware and brought them with us so that we could have them from the beginning.  We learned from our last move, where we didn’t find the utensils until 4 -5 days after we moved in. 

Tuesday Doug was nice to go into work a bit late so I could take the boys to school without the other kiddos.  We discovered that there is quite a line to drop kids off.  We found their classrooms and I got the things I needed to pick them up after school.  The staff warned me of the long line for pick up as well.  I left around 2:45 (school is out at 3:05) and got a pretty good spot in line.  But I still had to wait until about 3:15 to get the boys.  The have a pretty good system here.  There is a staff member waiting at the corner where she reads off the name of your student(s) and their grade(s) into a hand radio where they announce it in the building.  They tell the parent to park at a certain number sign posted along the driveway and they tell the student(s) to go to that number to meet their parent.  It just takes a while to get through the line.

What Jenna looks like at 5:00 when she doesn't take a nap. 

Wednesday the weather was pretty good so I told the boys that they would sign up as ‘walkers’ today and I would pick them up in the bike trailer with Tyler’s scooter, Damon would just walk home.  It took us about 15 min. to get home. (It was quite the feat to get the bike trailer unburied in the garage and get everyone bundled up and ready to go).  The good thing about biking was that Jenna and Kaylee took a nap in the trailer.  
I had been giving them quiet time together in their room and they weren’t napping.  Now I have Jenna nap in our room and Kaylee nap in their room and that works better.

Thursday I tried parking across the street from the school on a side street and had the boys walk to me there, that seems to work the best if we don’t want to ride bikes.  It has been pretty cold and rainy since we got here so we have only ridden our bikes that one time. 

School here is early –at 7:30 I have the kids get their coats and shoes on because it takes us 10 minutes to do that and get loaded in the van.  Announcements start at 7:50 and the bell rings at 8:05.  So I have to wake the boys up at 6:45, they get dressed and eat and then we go.  No more morning cartoons for us. I kind of like it, but I wish it wasn't so rushed.  I get up around 6, being ready for the day by 6:30-6:45 so I can be wonder mom J 

The boys seem to be doing ok.  I emailed their teachers and they say that they are doing well.  Their homework seems to be about the same level, there is just a bit more of it.  Damon is complaining a bit that there is more and that school is hard. He is having a harder time adjusting.  The other night he came to us crying that he wanted to move back to Colorado.  We talked with him and tried to get him to see things positively.  He had a better day the next day.  He just isn’t as social as Tyler and really could use a good friend.  There isn’t anyone in is class that is in our ward.  The school is big, there are 10 4th grade classes, probably about that many of the other grades as well. 

I finally got the kitchen all put away on Friday the 9th, one week from moving in.  I asked my visiting teacher to watch the kids for a couple of hours and that helped so much to get the last of the food and pantry stuff organized.  It was tricky to fit everything – we are missing our basement for all of our food storage. 

I went to book club here and met some new people.  Everyone seems nice it just takes a while to get to know everyone. 


Saturday was just more unpacking – Doug really got working on putting the hardware on the cabinets.  
Before
After - nice right?

Sunday was normal church and trying to learn more people’s names. I found some clothes that had been given to us awhile ago that I had forgotten about, fun to wear new dresses.  
  

No comments: