We watched conference on Sunday. The kids do really well with conference bingo in the morning and then we do snacks for the second session. They have gotten a lot better at listening.
In between sessions we discovered a snake in our backyard eating a frog. We kept an eye on it and it sounded so sad to hear the poor frog croak as he slowly got swallowed. The extra sad part is that the snake's eyes were too big for its mouth, the frog ended up being too big for it to swallow. We found the frog in the yard - Doug took care of it.
We also rode our bikes to the park, it was so hot! We didn't stay long but had fun.
I guess it happens to all parents, but I really thought we had escaped this experience. None of our children have ever written on walls etc, but this is what we found after conference was over. At first I thought it had rubbed off of Kaylee's bingo card because I knew she would never color on the couch intentionally. But then as we continued to look we saw that she had colored in multiple spots. Doug was able to get it out ok, but Kaylee had some sad consequences for the week and we hope that she learned her lesson.
This week I took cookies into the elementary school for the teachers, helped some friends and continued to work out in the morning. I had book group on Wednesday - we read Irena's Children. It's about the heroic story of the people who resisted the evil of WWII in Poland. It was definitely a sad book, but it's good for us to remember and realize the strength of the human spirit.
Wednesday was walk/ride to school day. The kids were all sooo excited. They ask to ride all the time, but the logistics make it so that it's just easier for us mom's to carpool. We had a fun ride this day though and it wasn't too hot in the afternoon which was nice.
The girls had their friend Hannah over to play - they had been looking forward to it for weeks. They had a blast and got very creative.
I went with Tyler to interview a veteran in our ward. They had to do a project on someone who served in a branch of the military. This brother worked with the army for his whole career. It was interesting to hear his story.
Friday was the Story Book Parade. Instead of having the kids wear their costumes to school they have them dress up like a character of a book. A lot of times we try to make their Halloween costumes work for both events and find a book to match. But this year I wanted to let the kids pick a favorite book and see what we could come up with. Jenna was Pete the Cat, Kaylee was the Tooth Fairy, and Chris was Shark, from Shark Vs. Train. They had a lot of fun. I helped at the library after the parade and helped put books away. It is fun to help in the library. I see lots of book that I want to read or get for the kids.
Saturdays are busy with basketball and football. This was Tyler's first game. I got to watch the first half before I took Damon to soccer. We could tell that this was going to be a learning year for Tyler's team. They are very inexperienced and about half of them and not very athletic. They lost by quite a bit and Tyler was a very poor loser - crying hysterically. We had a good talk and told him that we would not sign him up for sports if he couldn't handle the outcomes of his games. He has done better since.


No comments:
Post a Comment