![]() |
| Jenna |
![]() |
| Kaylee |
![]() |
| Doug with Jenna |
![]() |
| Jenna |
![]() |
| Kaylee |
Ok, leading up to Tuesday evening (May 1) I had still been having contractions every day, sometimes every 7-10 minutes, other times farther apart. Sunday and Monday they were stronger and more frequent, but Tuesday seemed back to 'normal' again.
I had just laid down to go to sleep and then my water broke. This was at 11:30 pm. I've never seen the fluid before, since I've always been on the delivery bed, so I didn't know if it was normal or not to be a little bit bloody. I wasn't too concerned about but it definitely got us going. We grabbed a few things (forgetting the camera) and left the hotel to drive to the hospital. Doug had called the hospital and my Dr. to let them know what was going on. It's about a 40 minute drive from Brighton to Longmont, we made better time than that. :) We actually saw three sets of police cars on the way, but they were all pulling someone else over. I had a few contractions on the way and was feeling a bit a pressure, but it didn't feel like they were going to be born in the van.
We got to the hospital around 12:30 and of course I get hooked back up to the baby monitors. I got an IV put in and we waited for the doctor to get there, love the waiting game. The nurses had told him that there was more blood than normal so he was coming to check things out. They did some tests to see if the fluid was indeed amniotic fluid and it was, and he checked me and I was dilated to a 3 and was 90% effaced. He also did an ultra sound and both babies were head down.
So because of the abnormal bleeding he suspected that the placenta had torn or started to separate from the uterus. I guess this is a bad thing, I still don't what the consequences of that would be. So that ruled out waiting to deliver (sometimes they can still postpone delivery even when the water breaks but usually it's just a few days). So that left deciding between and regular delivery and a c-section. Again because of the placenta risk he thought it was safer for me and the girls to do a c-section. So we then started to get prepped for that. They walked me through the procedure and had me sign some papers. Once all the doctors and anesthesiologist were there we were ready to go. Doug stayed outside, since operating rooms and him don't mix very well. I got a spinal tap and was relieved to go very numb. I had the shakes for almost the whole operation. I hate not being able to relax and not have control over my body shaking so much. It was a different experience to give birth this way. I didn't feel much, just some pressure, then I heard a baby cry. Then a minute later I heard another. The girls each had three doctors/nurses helping them, a neonatal Dr, a NICU nurse, and a breathing specialist. I had six people taking care of me: my doctor and another OB to help with the surgery, the anesthesiologist, and 3 nurses. They took the girls right to a incubator type crib and got them situated. After awhile they brought Jenna over close so I could see her and give her a kiss. They kept Kaylee in the crib. They both were receiving oxygen at this point. They were born at 2:40 and 2:41 am. Jenna weighed 4 lbs 6 oz and Kaylee weighed 3 lbs and 14 oz.
I went into the recovery room once they were done stitching me up, it took awhile. Doug was waiting for me there. Then we had to wait there for an hour to keep an eye on my vital signs. Then I was able to go into the nursey to see the girls. The doctors had come in while I was recovering and said that Jenna was doing really well. She was breathing on her own and just had an IV because her blood glucose levels were low (all of the boys had this too). Kaylee was having a harder time breathing. They kept her on the oxygen longer and checked some x-rays and did some tests. The outward signs looked better, but didn't match the results of one of the tests, so they tested again. By the time I saw her she had been taken off of oxygen and was doing pretty well. She also had an IV in. I got to hold both of them. They are so cute and so tiny. It was crazy to think that just a few hours ago they were inside me. They are identical since there was only one placenta.
They moved me to a post delivery room and I got hooked back up to monitors, this one for my heart beat, blood pressure, and leg compression wraps. They squeeze my calves like a blood pressure cuff, it is there to reduce the risk of blood clots. They are more obnoxious now because they are making it so I can't sleep. And one of the other medicines is making my face all itchy. I am writing this at about 7:00 am, having been up all night.
We called my mom at 5:30ish and then Doug left to go back to the hotel to get some sleep. I am hoping that I can sleep if I can get used to these leg things.
So I think that is the whole story. It feels nice to not be pregnant anymore, but I hope and pray that the girls will be ok. Thanks again to all for helping with the boys, it's nice to not have to worry about them right now.
C'Anne





No comments:
Post a Comment