So we have a pretty amazing group of moms around here. One in particular took charge and brainstormed ideas for things to do over spring break. This was a great plan for moms who need to do something with their children over the break. So on Monday the activity was an obstacle course by the library, picnic, and ride on the trolley. I had never been over to the side of the library and we found a cute little hedge maze that had these large books as you went through that had fables on them. We had plenty of time so we walked the maze and read all of the stories.
The kids liked the obstacle course, it was pretty simple, but they were excited about the popsicle at the end. They had some balls around and Tyler had fun playing soccer. Some dress up things were also brought and kids were encouraged to perform something at the little ampitheatre that was there.
None of mine performed, but Jenna dressed up for a bit.
Kaylee and Damon had fun singing along with the Pandora songs that were playing.
We hopped on the trolley and everyone loved the bell when it rang. The girls really love Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, so they thought it was so cool that we were riding a trolley like Daniel. The ride makes a big loop, it took about 25 minutes.
It happened to be a free ice cream cone day at Dairy Queen so we stopped by on the way home after we had eaten our picnic lunches.
The girls were pretty tired by the time we got home, but they were able to take a nap ok. The afternoon was pretty normal. The boys loved being home to play more and hopefully have more screen time :)
Tuesday the boys went to a Minecraft day camp. A friend had taken her kids last year and said it was good. It was a bit pricey, but since we weren't traveling anywhere for Spring Break I thought it would be fun for them. Well, they loved it, but I came to find out that they mostly just played Minecraft the whole time. They said we could bring devises, so I let them take the iPad. They said it was optional so I assumed that they would be doing other activities as well and just play and take turns for some of the time. Anyway, my friend and I were pretty upset. It just seemed wrong to pay that much money for letting my kids do something that they can easily do at home for free. We complained a bit through email. They wouldn't give us a refund, but they said we could go to a summer day camp for free. So I guess that's ok.
So the camp was from 10-2:00. It was about a 15 min drive away. So the question was, do I just drop them off and go back home with the girls, making two trip back and forth, or do I run errands and stay with the girls in town and pick up the boys on the way back? I knew the girls would be so tired, but they are getting better at having later naps if they need to, so I went with the second option. I took the girls to a Marshalls store and we looked around for a bit. The girls weren't in the best mood, Jenna especially. She was already asking to go home, and I'm thinking "oh this is going to be a long 4 hours." Jenna also said she had to go potty three times in the store. I took her twice and she didn't go either time - frustrating! Anyway, they had a lot of cute decor things there but nothing jumped out at me so I didn't get anything.
Then I met up with my friend who had her other kids at the day camp too. We went to the Woodland's Children's Museum. It was pretty crowded but the girls had a good time. They even stayed close together which is rare but very helpful for me keeping an eye on them.
Because it was St. Patrick's day they had some fun Irish activities and we even saw some Irish dancers perform.
The girls were getting tired and we left to go to a Jamba Juice nearby. I had a BOGO free coupon. Well, I should have left the museum a bit sooner because when we finally got to the Jamba Juice there was a huge line and I knew that there was no way the one person in the back could make 10+ smoothies in 5 minutes. So we left to go pick up the boys. Bummer!
Kaylee was so tired so I carried her most of the way back to the car. Jenna was walking slow, but she didn't complain. We picked up the boys and headed home. Kaylee hit her meltdown and cried most of the way home. She cried up in her room as I was trying to get her to go to sleep. Jenna went down ok, but she ended up not falling asleep. I had to keep going into Kaylee to get her to calm down and I finally gave up and let them both watch a show. So much for quiet time.
Damon had scouts in the evening and we had baths and bed.
Doug took to the rest of the week off so we could do some fun things as a family. Wednesday we couldn't decide if we wanted to go to the zoo or the rodeo. The rodeo was a bit farther and we weren't sure about all the details of parking, tickets, excetera. So we choose the zoo. It was raining as we left and hit a heavy down pour along the freeway, but it returned to a gentle rain when we got there. It was actually nice because there weren't that many people there. (I found out later that the day before had been crazy busy - glad we picked Wedesday.) The kids loved carrying their umbrellas and we tried to help them to not step in any really big puddles. We saw the elephants get fed and then followed the map to the animals the kids wanted to see. Tyler wanted to see the cheetahs and Damon wanted to see the bats. The kids did great. No one complained about all of the walking and everyone was pretty happy. I had brought some popcorn to eat while we walked so that helped :) It stopped raining half way through and by the time we left the sun was shinning and we had taken our jackets off. We had left our lunches in the van so we just ate them as we drove home. Everyone was pretty hungry and ate well. The girls napped well when we got home too.
Can you spot all 5?
On Wednesday evening Doug and I had a date. I was able to buy some tickets to see Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat from a local mom. I was so excited. It was a lot of driving that day since we had already gone down town in the morning for the zoo and then drove back in the evening, but it wasn't too bad. It's about a 45 min. drive. Doug had never seen the show. I'd seen it 3 times before, but it had been awhile since the last time. I loved it. The cast was great and the music is so much fun. I think Doug enjoyed it too. It was so nice to have a night together and have a break from the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment