Tyler started karate in the spring. He joined in the middle of the semester, but caught on quickly and did really well. I have to say that I was the proud parent at his awards ceremony. They have the kids perform some of the things they have learned. Tyler did his blocks, kicks, and punches well and he even demonstrated some upper cuts independently. The sensei counts these off in Japanese, so that was fun to hear. In this style of karate they learn what are called katas. I am very new to karate so this was something I hadn't heard of before. They are a routine of sorts to help them learn different skills. Tyler learned the first kata and was invited to perform it with the older class. Tyler earned his yellow belt actually skipping a belt from his white one. Sensei Luke also broke boards as a demonstration, so that was pretty cool as well.
upper cuts
Sensei Luke with Tyler's new yellow belt.
Karate seems like a great fit for Tyler. He enjoys it and has done really well so far. I'm excited to watch him learn more and improve.
1 comment:
That's fun! Linus LOVES gymnastics, and somehow I don't think he'd go for karate. Maybe I just don't WANT him to. HAHAA!! Good job Tyler!
Post a Comment